Friday, July 17, 2009

Philly Fun!

I'm back . . . after another long hiatus. I keep thinking I'll become a consistent blogger, and, who knows, maybe now that we're far from home and friends and family, it might just happen. :)

Well saying goodbye was more emotional than I expected. We had been pretty busy and crazy trying to get things packed up and getting our house emptied and cleaned and I just hadn't had much time to let the emotions sink in. The last couple of days before we left, the emotions hit. Saying goodbye to such wonderful friends and neighbors was really hard. And saying goodbye to our house where we'd made so many great memories and grown so much as a family was heartbreaking for me. As we drove out of town, we said goodbye to the school, the little library, the post office, etc., and I just cried more and more. And we saved one of our hardest goodbyes for last. We met our friends the Jackmans at a park and said goodbye to them. Paige and Ashley have been just about the cutest best friends you've ever seen. And each of our family members gets along beautifully with the corresponding member of their family. (Well, Nathaniel has his moments, of course.)

Saying goodbye to best friends.


On the flight to Philly


So now we're here in Philadelphia (okay, the suburbs of Philadelphia), and are really loving it so far.

Jamie's parents were great to drive out with Jamie and then they stayed and cleaned and shopped and cleaned some more and shopped some more, etc. I think they hoped to get a little bit of a vacation, but it was pretty much just work. We were glad to have some time with them for a few days after we arrived.

Kids blowing bubble in front of our new home.

Kids with grandparents.


We lucked out and are renting a house on a beautiful street. There are kids all around, and our neighbors are incredibly kind, friendly, and fun. What a blessing!

We like our new ward a lot, too. There are lots of young kids. It's the first time we've ever been in a ward with a large nursery - over 20 kids - and we're not quite sure what to think. (Neither does Claire!) Again, everyone has been so friendly and welcoming, and it seems like there are great people everywhere you look.

I'm really thrilled to have a calling already. I was just called as the Primary Music Director, and couldn't be happier. It will be a lot of work, but even more fun! In fact, before we moved I was already planning my strategy on how to get the Bishop to let me be in Primary.

We were hoping there would be some fun 4th of July events here, and we weren't disappointed. The kids loved the Springfield parade and the fun events after.


Paige after some face-painting.


Our ward has a playgroup every week and, during the summer, they meet at all kinds of places. So far, we've only made it to one, but it was really fun. We met at the Tyler Arboretum for their Terrific Treehouse Exhibit. The kids had a great time!

Paige playing the cowbells. "I need more cowbell, baby!"

Claire helping to build a giant outdoor fort.

Nathaniel with a new friend in the birdhouse.


Cute little birds.

I'll post more later (and maybe sooner than later if things go well!). Ciao!

4 comments:

Jen said...

What cute kiddos! Glad you're liking Philly so far. Looks like you've got a nice neighborhood, too, which is awesome.

heath said...

I miss you guys! I need to call you.

Mickel said...

So fun to see your new Philly life. I bet everyone in Providence is really missing you. You have such an amazing, beautiful family. I'll be checking your blog often to see how things are going and to see those cute kiddos.

Melinda said...

It's so good to hear that you are settled in and enjoying your new town. We miss you guys...seeing the pictures of you in your new town brought it home that you are gone (boo-hoo!!). Your kids are cuter than ever. I'm so glad that things are going well for you.