
I think we are all shocked and horrified to learn of senseless killing but this book gives you a very real sense of what it would have been like to have experienced this horror. . . . Yet we get to see it through Immaculee's eyes and witness her incredible faith in God and the power of prayer. Very inspiring and moving!
Other good books I can recommend:
What is the What, by Dave Eggers
(another book about horrible atrocities - this time in Sudan. It's a fictionalized account of one of the lost boys. Written very well - simply, vividly, mercifully. I had to stop bringing it with me to doctor's offices, etc., though because I was in tears most of the time.)
Pomegranate Soup, by Marsha Mehran.
(I love food and middle East culture an have always been interested in all things Irish, so I think there was no chance I wouldn't like this book. I read it when I was pregnant, and had the strongest cravings for some Iranian food from the Babylon Cafe.)
That's all for now! Happy reading!
2 comments:
Royce and I recently watched Hotel Rwanda (a few days after the guy who that movie is based on spoke at a BYU forum). It's crazy to me that something like that can even happen. And it wasn't 50 years ago like the Holocaust--it was in my lifetime! I'll have to add these to my very long booklist.
Hello Heidi! I've discovered your blog and I'll be checking it out often. Shaun just finished reading this book too. I'll have to read it also when things settle down a bit. Love the picture of your girls in matching PJ's. Your baby is adorable and getting so big. Keep in touch. Mickel
Post a Comment